We want to give the people what they want and, after last weekend, it seems the people want cupcakes! Last weekend we had so much fun making these Matcha Chocolate Cupcakes and they were gone in about three days, so we got to thinking of other flavors and developed these Carrot Cake Cupcakes. These cupcakes are light and simple - you could even get away with eating them for breakfast;)
We won't deny that we're chocolate lovers, but there's no doubt that these cupcakes are a refreshing change from rich and dense desserts. We loaded them with lots of grated carrot, juicy raisins, and yummy spices to create a wonderful combination of flavors and textures. Plus, you're likely getting a serving of vegetables and lots of fiber in one of these... if you needed another reason to eat them. For the icing on the cake, literally, we whipped up some coconut cream with a hint of lemon, because what is carrot cake without its frosting?!
On the healthy side of things, these cupcakes are vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar free - making them a great treat that your body will love as well. Treats are made to be enjoyed and valued and we like ours without the guilt. So go ahead and enjoy these Carrot Cake Cupcakes - ours are likely almost gone.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
4 flax eggs - 4 Tbsp. flax meal + 3/4 cup water
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 Tbsp. almond milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ginger powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups grated carrot, about 1 large carrot
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 can full-fat coconut milk, place in fridge overnight
2 vanilla beans
2 Tbsp. coconut nectar or maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. macadamia nuts, chopped for topping
- Make sure your can of coconut milk is in the fridge overnight!
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚ and line your muffin tin with 7 cupcake liners.
- Make flax eggs and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix coconut sugar, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Add in melted coconut oil and flax eggs and stir until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add wet mix to dry and stir well. Mix in grated carrot, shredded coconut, and raisins.
- Divide mixture evenly between the 7 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Scoop the thick coconut cream into a mixing bowl, pouring out the water that has separated.
- Whip for about 1 minute. Add vanilla bean, sweetener of choice, and lemon juice and continue whipping until smooth, fluffy, and peaks have formed.
- Place in fridge until cupcakes have cooled.
- Place a generous scoop of frosting on top of each cupcake and sprinkle with chopped macadamia nuts.
- Store in the fridge or eat immediately!