When it comes to buying anything packaged, we pay close attention to the list of ingredients. We like to know what each ingredient is, be able to pronounce everything, and not have to read a list a mile long. One of our favorite things to buy is the Blueberry Hemp Granola by Purely Elizabeth because the ingredients are fantastic and it's super addicting delicious. We were inspired by the granola and, because we love being in the kitchen, we decided to try our hand at our own granola, giving you this Strawberry Banana Granola.
Our goals going into making this recipe included:
simple and easy
vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar free
It wasn't hard to make this granola high in protein since we combined gluten-free oats, puffed millet, quinoa flakes, hemp seeds, and chia seeds. To bind it all together, we simply mixed a couple super soft bananas with melted coconut oil - that's it! We spiced it up with some cinnamon and superfoods maca and mesquite. The sunflower seeds and freeze-dried strawberries added our crunch factor and made this granola fun to eat. Seriously, this is a great addition to your breakfast and will sustain you for hours.
We love topping our morning smoothies with crunchy granola, but rather than loading them up with processed sugar and oils, we made this Strawberry Banana Granola to support our healthy bodies for the rest of the day! Plus, this granola makes for a yummy snack or nighttime treat.
2 cups gluten-free oats
1 cup puffed millet
1 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. maca powder (optional)
1 tsp. mesquite powder (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 extra ripe bananas (or defrosted frozen bananas with juice drained)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Heaping 1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries (or other freeze-dried fruit)
- Heat oven to 350˚ and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- In your food processor, mix the wet ingredients until combined.
- Pour wet into the bowl with the dry. Mix everything together (except freeze-dried strawberries) until the dry is thoroughly coated.
- Spread granola over both baking sheets and bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until it's golden.
- Let granola cool for at least 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in strawberries.
- Store in an airtight container or jar.